How to become a Translator

All questions about translation. How to help with the translation.

Postby Patrik [admin] » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:10 pm

How to sign up

What are the benefits of being a translator?
If you help with a full translation to your language, you will get the following:
1) A free registration code for Gmail Notifier Pro that you can use. In addition, you can also get a few more free registration codes that you can give to your friends.
2) Your name will be listed in the About dialog of Gmail Notifier Pro

Upgrade to latest version of Gmail Notifier Pro
Version 2.4.2 is the first version supporting translations. Version 2.4.2 is a development version that you can upgrade to using the built-in Automatic update feature in Gmail Notifier Pro. If you havn't enabled upgrades to development versions yet, you need to go to Options -> Automatic updates and enable "Check for development versions". Save the changes and click on the blue Menu button. Then select "Check for updates".

As a translator, it is recommended to use the latest development version to be able to translate the text before a public release is made available.

How to use the Translation Tool
This is an example of the Translation Tool when translating to swedish. The window can be resized to better fit all content. Only the Translation column needs to be filled in by the translator.

Before you close the Translation Tool, you can save your work. This updates the translation file (.language). If you want, you can test your translation by starting Gmail Notifier Pro, go to Options and select the language "TranslationTest". After restarting Gmail Notifier Pro it will use your current translation. Please note that the translation file is only read once when Gmail Notifier Pro is started. If you make any translation changes, you need to restart Gmail Notifier Pro.

When the translation is finished, use the Upload command in the File menu of the Translation Tool. Your translation file (.language) will be uploaded to the Gmail Notifier Pro web server and is ready to be included in next version. I will make sure it's being embedded and added to the list of languages with proper language name.

Markup
For a few of the strings, markup is used to force new line or create clickable links. Only used these when they are used in the english text.
& Used to make next letter the short key. &Cancel will make Alt+C become a short key for the command, and C will be underlined.
<br/> Forces a new line
<a>clickable text</a> The text between <a> and </a> will be clickable links.

Guidelines
The application name should be "Gmail Notifier Pro" for the translations as well. Do not change/translate the application name into something else.
Patrik Engström - Gmail Notifier Pro developer
Patrik [admin]
Site Admin

Re: How to become a Translator

Postby Veikko » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 am

http://savepic.net/1383442.jpg

Edit: The image was so large that I replaced it with a link / Patrik
Veikko

Postby Patrik [admin] » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:58 am

Veikko: Radialix is a commercial product that cost a lot of money and I think it's overkill for smaller products like Gmail Notifier Pro.

For Gmail Notifier Pro it's about 400 strings that needs translation and nothing related to GUI, so I don't think there is are need for enterprise products for doing the translation.
Patrik [admin]
Site Admin

Postby Veikko » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:44 am

We do not fully understand each other. Since we deal with translations that we have a license to Radialix. A screenshot I just hung for clarity. I wrote that to make a free transfer. But the forum could see that the localization of the Russian language is already taken...Can I just download the language file with the extension. xml ?
Veikko

Postby Patrik [admin] » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi again. Sorry if I misunderstood what you ment.
The translations that are ready right now are those for Swedish, Spanish and Polish. They are included in development version 2.4.4 of Gmail Notifier Pro.
Ukrainian translation was also just finished and will be included in next development release.
Patrik [admin]
Site Admin

Postby narshorn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:39 am

Hello.

New to this forum.

I want to help to get a better french translation (my native language).
Actual is not complete (all strings) and there are some spelling mistakes in the existing ones.
How to proceed. When I start the Translator within app folder, it tells me no language files available.
using latest version of Gmail Notifier Pro.

Thanks,

nAr
narshorn

Postby Patrik [admin] » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 am

narshorn wrote:I want to help to get a better french translation (my native language).
Actual is not complete (all strings) and there are some spelling mistakes in the existing ones.
How to proceed. When I start the Translator within app folder, it tells me no language files available.
using latest version of Gmail Notifier Pro.

Thanks,

nAr

Please contact me by e-mail and I will explain how to proceed. Thanks!
Patrik [admin]
Site Admin

Postby DzedBaradzed » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Hello!
I want to help to get a belarusian translation, my native language.
Is that possible?
DzedBaradzed

Postby Patrik [admin] » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 pm

DzedBaradzed wrote:Hello!
I want to help to get a belarusian translation, my native language.
Is that possible?

Yes. Please contact me by e-mail: info@gmailnotifier.se
Patrik [admin]
Site Admin

Postby Hiday Mlico » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 am

Can I Translate "Gmail Notifier" to Indonesian?
Hiday Mlico

Return to Translation / Localization